Friday, May 23, 2008

I always though Casio made the first TRIVIA QUIZ!

Today is World Turtle Day, a time to celebrate and protect turtles and tortoises and their habitats.

Today is Mounties Day. The Northwest Mounted Police force was established in Canada on this date in 1873.

Today is Moog Day, marking the birth on this date in 1934 of Robert Moog. He built the first successful music synthesizer. The first Moog album, Switched On Bach, became a best-seller in 1968.

On this day in 1430, Joan of Arc was captured by the Burgundians and sold to the English.

On this day in 1877, Grace Ingalls was born in Burr Oak, Iowa. Six months later, the Ingalls family returned to Walnut Grove, Minnesota. Grace’s sister, Laura, made the Ingalls famous with her "Little House" book series.


On this day in 1984, the Surgeon General reported that smokers can inflict lung damage on non-smokers who inhale second-hand smoke.

On this day in 1995, in Clermont, Florida, a 33-year-old woman who had a baby in state prison tried to swap the child two days after her release for a 1985 Honda Accord. Police charged mom with arranging to sell a child, a third-degree felony. Sure, the Accord's a great car, but really...

And for the hard-core trivia fans among us...what's the only bird that can fly backwards?

Good luck :)

3 Comments:

At 5:39 PM, May 23, 2008, Blogger Laine said...

I really don't know about the bird, but I'll guess hummingbird. Mostly I wanted to share a little personal anecdote that relates to earlier in the blog.

When my mom was pregnant with my youngest sibling, my parents said that I could name it if it was a girl, and my brother could name it if it was a boy. My brother chose "Little Kevin" with the hopes that everyone would start calling him "Big Kevin". (Ok, he was three). Thankfully, it was a girl so they went with my name - Laura - named after my favorite TV show, "Little House on the Prairie." :)

 
At 4:49 PM, May 26, 2008, Blogger R-dogg said...

It's the hummingbird!

Laine, nice guess! You must have known the answer somewhere in your head ;) And nice story about your family...I'm sure Laura is happy to know she didn't end up being "Little Kevin." Do you think your parents would have honored that?

 
At 7:20 PM, May 27, 2008, Blogger Laine said...

Something tells me no, they would not have honored that request. However my brother did try to give it another shot in first grade, when he started writing "Big Kev" on all of his school papers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home