Monday, October 29, 2007

My hometown was named after Sir Walter TRIVIA QUIZ!

Today is Internet Day, marking the first connection on what would become the Internet between computers at UCLA and Stanford Research Center in California on October 29, 1969. Hm, looks like it took me quite a while to get around to posting a blog online!


Today is National Disgusting Little Pumpkin-Shaped Candies Day. I take issue with this, as it turns out those pumpkins are delicious!

Today is Republic Day in Turkey. The Republic was founded on this date in 1923.

On this day in 1618, in London King James I had Sir Walter Raleigh beheaded. Sir Walter was both an explorer and a writer. He wrote The Nymph's Reply to the Shepherd, and History of the World.

On this day in 1966, the National Organization for Women was formed.

On this day in 1991, a news release from the Canadian Museum of Nature in Ottawa mistakenly referred to the visiting Princess of Wales as "the Princess of Whales." I bet that guy was soooo fired!

So, it's trivia time...what writing implement went on sale for the first time on this day in 1945 at Gimbels department store? Its original price was $12.95.

Good luck :)

3 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, October 29, 2007, Blogger Laine said...

Ok so as usual, I don't know the answer to your quiz. But I'll take a wild guess...a ballpoint pen?

I do have a few comments on your other items though:
- what does s Snickers commercial have to do with anything? :)
- according to "Elizabeth: the Golden Age" Sir Walter Raleigh was a total player!
- I agree that I love the candy pumpkins!! they're the highlight of brach's autumn mix.
- I was disappointed by your omittance (is that a word?) of Al Gore's role in inventing the Internet!

 
At 7:33 AM, October 30, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about a mechanical pencil?

 
At 7:42 AM, October 30, 2007, Blogger R-dogg said...

Ooh, good guesses, but Laine's got it right with the ballpoint pen! Laine, did you buy the 1945 Gimbels catalog on E-bay??? Very impressive! JD, to be fair, I can't disprove your answer...the mechanical pencil could have also been $12.95!

Haha, that Snicker's commercial was a spoof on the presidential debate of the time, so when he's talking about inventing pants, it is making fun of Al Gore's "I invented the Internet" comment, so we're totally on the same wavelength.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by Sir Walter Raleigh's wandering eye...you know all we Raleigh folks are total playas :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home