Thursday, February 28, 2008

I prefer my chili without TRIVIA QUIZzes!

Today is Public Sleeping Day. Don't tell Petula Clark!!


Today is National Chili day, always the last Thursday in February.

Today is Mr. Ed Day, marking the "talking horse's" death on this day in 1979. The pilot show, entitled, "The Wonderful World of Wilbur Pope" and produced by George Burns, was never broadcast, but TV bosses thought it could be successful with a few changes. The TV series "Mister Ed" first became a syndicated show on January 5th, 1961.

Today is Blue Jeans Day.

Today is Bye-Bye Premier Day, marking R.J. Reynolds' decision on this date in 1989 to stop marketing Premier, its "smokeless" cigarette, because of poor sales.

On this day in 1953, scientists James Watson and Francis Crick discovered the structure of DNA, the molecule that contains the human genes. They totally copied that from me!

On this day in 1996, Britain’s Princess Diana agreed to a divorce from Prince Charles, ending a marriage that began in 1981. She said it was "the saddest day of her life."

On this day in 2007, 15-year-old Jennifer Mee of St. Petersburg, Florida, stopped hiccupping for the first time in more than a month. Jennifer's hiccups began Jan. 23 during her first period science class, and did not stop until late on Feb 28. No one could explain or cure the problem. At times, she hiccuped as many as 50 times a minute. Ok, is it just me or does this sound like a story from The Onion?

So, here's the trivia scoop: What television event occured on this day in 1983 that caused 77% of North American television audiences to tune in?

Good luck :)

4 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, February 28, 2008, Blogger Kim said...

was that the challenger exploding?

also, who is this guy petula clark is dating who leaves her and then apparently has nowhere he can go crash on a friend's sofa for a few days?

 
At 4:52 PM, February 28, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it was the final episode of M*A*S*H!

Oh, good ... I'm dressed appropriately today. And I guess we're having Rob's famous "Mr. Ed" chili for dinner!

 
At 7:20 AM, February 29, 2008, Blogger R-dogg said...

And it's...the final episode of M*A*S*H!

Kim, I'm going to tell Hawkeye and the gang you missed that one! And clearly, Petula Clark only dates losers. She's also kind of mean with the "oh, whatever, you're not really going to leave me" business.

JD, excellent work! And what a coincidence that you just happened to wear blue jeans today :)

Laine, thanks for the info about Chili day (I had that in the 2/22 entry as well). It's a moveable date (last Thursday in Feb) so I guess I need to update my sources :)

 
At 7:21 AM, March 01, 2008, Blogger Kim said...

hehehe, oops, i misread that one, I don't think the challenger exploding qualifies as a TV event :)

Also, that was on Jan 28th, 1986, had to google it because it was bugging me

 

Post a Comment

<< Home