Friday, April 04, 2008

Can't Buy Me TRIVIA QUIZ!

Alcohol Free Weekend begins today. The National Council on Alcohol and Drug Dependence asks every American to refrain from drinking any alcoholic beverage this weekend. If you can't, please get help.

Today is National Cordon Bleu Day. That dish has its own day??

Today is Paraprofessional Appreciation Day, created several years ago in Missouri to honor paraprofessionals, especially in education. Is that a derogatory term? I've never heard it before.

Hate Week begins today, according to George Orwell's once futuristic novel 1984.

On this day in 1964, twelve of the Billboard Hot 100 songs were by the Beatles, including the top five in order: "Can't Buy Me Love," "Twist and Shout," "She Loves You," "I Want to Hold Your Hand," and "Please Please Me."

On this day in 1968, the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated in Memphis.

On this day in 1970, my parents were married!

On this day in 1988, Prudential Insurance lost $11-million in loan repayments because a typist left off three zeros at the end of a million dollar figure. I'm guessing that typist is no longer with the company :)

On this day in 1999, a tanker-truck overturned near Marlborough, Connecticut, and spilled 3,000 gallons of milk. Nobody cried over it, but firefighters had to spend hours cleaning it up. Hey, it was either that or some sort of cookie joke...


On this day in 2002, a 16-year-old bank robber in Rochester, New York, has such poor handwriting the teller couldn't read her note. By the time the teen was handed a bag of money, it was closing time and other employees were locking the doors. The robber wound up trapped in the foyer with the cash, where police captured her. Hm, so I guess penmanship really does matter!

Ok, triviateers...what did C.C. King isolate for the first time on this date in 1932 at the University of Pittsburgh? I'll give you a hint: you probably had some in what you had for breakfast this morning.

Good luck :)

4 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, April 04, 2008, Blogger Laine said...

I'm not really sure on the trivia, but for once I have something meaningful to contribute here. Paraprofessionals is not a derogatory term at all. I work for a teachers union and one of our five divisions is AFT-PSRP - paraprofessionals and school-related personnel. In the education field paraprofessional generally refers to teachers aides, school librarians...basically people in the education field who do not have a teaching license. (As a side note, school-related personnel refers to bus drivers, cafeteria workers, etc.)

 
At 10:33 PM, April 05, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, let's see, I don't think the answer was a Starbucks breakfast sandwich or a vanilla latte ... so I'll guess sugar. That can't be right, though. Hmmmm....

 
At 7:41 AM, April 07, 2008, Blogger Laine said...

I just read an article on Starbucks and apparently they're dumping the breakfast sandwiches because the smell can overpower the coffee aroma in the store. Sorry Jon!

 
At 8:00 AM, April 07, 2008, Blogger R-dogg said...

And it would be...vitamin C!

Laine, thanks for the information. I had no idea what paraprofessional meant when I was writing out the entry. I still remember some of my teacher's aides from elementary school (thanks for being awesome, Ms. Doane!) And very interesting about the breakfast sandwiches: I knew they were discontinued, but I didn't know why.

JD, I'm pretty sure sugar was isolated a little bit earlier :) And I, too, am sorry about the breakfast sandwiches!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home