Friday, July 11, 2008

How much would it cost today to hire Babe TRIVIA QUIZ!!??!!

Today is Reading Guilt Day, a day to actually start reading an entire book you only read the Cliff Notes version of in college. Hmm, I guess that means I'll finally have to read Billy Budd...

Today is also National Blueberry Muffin Day. Oh good, so I can have something good to eat when I fall asleep on my copy of Billy Budd ;)

On this day in 1914, Babe Ruth made his major-league debut with the Boston Red Sox at an annual rookie salary of $2,900. Six years later he signed with the Yankees for $125,000.

On this day in 1971, the U.S. Department of AgriĀ­culture was allocated $19,520 to deterĀ­mine if a woman's place was in the home. Really?

On this day in 1992, a Japanese rancher told Tokyo reporters he outfitted his cattle with pocket pagers. He said it took the cows about a week to learn that the beep means it's time to eat. He just dials the beeper number and they come running. Now, holler if you've sent a numeric page to anybody in the last 10 years!

(random, yes, but it's what came up when I searched for "cow pager")

Trivia, eh? OK, when was the last cigarette ad seen on television?

Good luck :)

3 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, July 11, 2008, Blogger dancing_lemur said...

There is not a good enough reason in the world to read Billy Budd. It's the only book for HS that I could not complete.

And yes, I am a nerd, thanks for asking.

As for trivia, I'm going to make a wild guess of 1993.

 
At 3:19 PM, July 12, 2008, Blogger Kim said...

I was thinking about it and I don't think I ever remember seeing a cigarette commercial on TV. So I'm going to guess 1983.

And I second the opinion of Billy Budd. I think I had to read it in college though. At least try something remotely interesting. Like War and Peace maybe :)

 
At 9:03 AM, July 13, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's a little earlier, since I don't remember seeing a cigarette ad on TV either. How about 1977?

Do you think the cows have their own social networking site yet? They should call it MooSpace....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home