Sunday, September 05, 2004

I went to the woods because I wished to...take a TRIVIA QUIZ!

Today's trivia quiz is brought to you by the state of California...not only because I'm currently visiting but because it celebrated its 150 year anniversary not too long ago!

Most of us know that Henry David Thoreau wrote his work "Walden" while essentially on an extended camping trip in New England (who would ever want to do that??). If you haven't read it, I recommend it! As some of you further know, one of my favorite quotes comes from this work. Anyway, Thoreau's work is 150 years old this year. Now, a 100th birthday is referred to as a centennial, so what is the term for a 150th birthday?

Bonus points if you can name my favorite quote from this work! Good luck!

2 Comments:

At 5:39 AM, September 06, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sesquicentennial

and I think it's

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what they had to teach; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

at least that's the one you have as an away message
Hope you are having fun in CA!!
Kim

 
At 8:22 PM, September 06, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having just myself returned from the wilds of New England, I couldn't agree more with Thoreau. But you know, Walden Pond itself is a bit disappointing - it now tends to be overrun with locals looking for a place to swim and lie in the sun. Nothing wrong with that, if you like that sort of thing - but I'll take hiking in the mountains of Maine as my own kind of spiritual experience. Anyone want to join me next time? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home