Tuesday, March 04, 2008

It's got to be true: I read it in People TRIVIA QUIZ!

Today is Old Inauguration Day. The first U.S. president, George Washington, was inaugurated on March 4, 1789. Until the Twentieth Amendment, ratified in 1933, changed the date of the Presidential Inauguration to January 20th, every American president was inaugurated on this date.

Today is National Grammar Day, honoring language and its rules. (I was tempted to write "and it's rules" as a joke, but my mom would kill me!)

Today is National Poundcake Day. Nice! I haven't had poundcake in a while!

Today is People Day. People magazine was launched on March 4, 1974.

On this day in 1789, the U.S. Constitution went into effect as the first Federal Congress met in New York. The lawmakers then adjourned for lack of a quorum.

On this day in 1837, the state of Illinois granted a city charter to Chicago.

On this day in 1924, the song "Happy Birthday to You" was published.

On this day in 1993, The Wall Street Journal announced that in a stock-picking contest between professional stock analysts and Journal employees, the employees’ portfolio had gained 15%, while the pros’ portfolio had lost 26%. Journal employees had picked their stocks by throwing darts at stock market tables.


OK, speaking of stocks, who returned home on this day in 2005 after serving 5 months in a federal prison for lying about a stock sale?

Good luck :)

4 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, March 04, 2008, Blogger Kim said...

martha, martha, martha!!!

Also, oddly enough I had a patient today who left the office yelling "I'm going to get poundcakes!!!" I think he meant pancakes but maybe he was just observing today properly :)

 
At 7:38 AM, March 05, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, it was Martha. I'm sure she was glad to leave prison and get back to her horses ("Heeeyyyy....")

Now, I know I'm a couple days late on this one, but I must comment on "What If Cats and Dogs Had Thumbs Day." First, huh? And second, clearly there would be a lot more pets hitchhiking.

 
At 7:47 AM, March 05, 2008, Blogger R-dogg said...

That jailbird is Martha Stewart!

Kim and JD, neither of you mentioned a last name, but I'm assuming that's who you were thinking of :)

Kim, it's nice to see that everybody was getting into the spirit of poundcake day. I was reminded of a line from Will and Grace where Grace is wearing a bakery box string around her wrist, and Will says "you didn't find Kabala, you found Ka-poundcake!"

JD, I had forgotten about Martha and her black horse. Whoever the TWOP recapper was said she probably doesn't allow it out in the sun so his coat doesn't fade!
The big question is: if you saw a hitchiking cat or dog, would you offer it a ride?

 
At 3:48 PM, March 05, 2008, Blogger Kim said...

depends, does he have Bud Light?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home