Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Better eat your TRIVIA QUIZ!

Today is National Apple Streudel Day.

Today is National Eat All Your Vegetables Day.

Today is Bunker Hill Day.

On this day in 1870, George Cormack was born in Scotland. In 1924, working in the U.S., he invented Wheaties, breakfast of champions.


On this day in 1990, after eight days of work, 12 students in Singapore completed a pyramid built with 263,810 bottle caps.

On this day in 2006, in a real-life version of Goldilocks and the Three Bears - in reverse - a West Vancouver woman came home to find a young bear eating oatmeal in her kitchen. Police couldn't get the bear to budge, so they let the animal finish his oatmeal. Eventually the bear decided to go out the same way he got in, through a sliding glass door, and headed back down toward a forest.

On the trivia side of things: what arrived in New York Harbor aboard the French ship Isere on this day in 1885?

Good luck :)

4 Comments:

At 4:52 PM, June 17, 2008, Blogger Laine said...

the Statue of Liberty? of course I could be off about a hundred years on that one.

 
At 5:28 PM, June 17, 2008, Blogger Kim said...

Yes, I think it was the Statue of Liberty. I'm not entirely clear on why the French gave her to us though.

 
At 11:21 PM, June 17, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, it's the Statue of Liberty all right. It figures prominently in my favorite book, "Time and Again."

Silly bear! I would have figured he would have gone straight for the ketchup-flavored potato chips :)

 
At 8:20 AM, June 18, 2008, Blogger R-dogg said...

Yup, it's the Statue of Liberty! I remember reading in French class how many pieces it came in, but I can't remember it now...

Laine, I know how you feel: I'm so shaky on my history that sometimes I can't even make an educated guess :)

Kim, I'm not sure on the history of it either...some sort of gift, but wasn't it filled with soldiers? Oh wait, that was the Trojan horse...

JD, that is a good book, but I've forgotten the role Lady Liberty plays in that. And that bear doesn't know what he's missing, although I think for Canada it should be "flavoured" ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home