Friday, April 11, 2008

A Louie Lou-ay, Oh, TRIVIA QUIZ!

Today is Barbershop Quartet Day. Oh good, I needed a trim ;)


Today is Iinternational "Louie Louie" Day, an opportunity to celebrate what many call the greatest party song of all time. Quick: name any of the lyrics to this song!

Today is National Dandelion Day. From a Trivial Pursuit game I played with my sister as a kid, I know that this comes from the French for lion's tooth. I did give my sister the wedge for coming up with "dent de lion" since it sounds close enough.

Today is M&Ms Crisis Day, marking the day in 1966 when American astronaut Shannon Lucid reported from the Russian space station Mir she was "absolutely, totally out" of M&Ms. Lucid spent 188 days aboard the Mir and asked only for regular resupplies of M&Ms.

On this day in 1868, U.S. Army Commander Ulysses S. Grant was stopped for speeding in his horse-drawn buggy. Three months later he was stopped again and fined $5.00.

On this day in 1961, Bob Dylan made his professional singing debut in New York City's Greenwich Village. He sang "Blowin’ in the Wind."

On this day in 1990, astronomers at Lowell Observatory in Arizona named four asteroids after John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr.

On this day in 1999, Florida accountant Jim Akin finished his annual count of dollar bills stapled to the walls and ceiling at McGuire’s Irish Pub & Brewery in Pensacola. Since 1977 customers had signed and stapled up 175,000 dollar bills, which every April have to be inventoried and reported to the IRS.

OK, folks...so on this day in 1962, the New York Mets played their first regular season game. How many of their first games did they lose in a row?

Good luck :)

3 Comments:

At 5:26 PM, April 11, 2008, Blogger Laine said...

Rob! How could you not mention our many visits to McGuire's in Pensacola! I ate my very first peanut button hamburger there. Mmmm.

I don't know about the Mets but I'll say 19.

I believe there is a line "Louie Lou-ay, Ohhh, We gotta go."

 
At 8:18 AM, April 12, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Mets were dreadful in 1962, but I don't recall how many games they lost in a row ... maybe 16?

Man, I would never have given the wedge for that answer - you're very generous! Maybe you were celebrating International Brother & Sister Day or something. As for me, I celebrated M&M Crisis Day yesterday with a trip to the vending machine.

 
At 7:45 AM, April 15, 2008, Blogger R-dogg said...

Those wacky Mets lost their first ten in a row!

Laine, I know I didn't mention our connection to McGuire's, but I knew you'd get a kick out of that. When did you have your next peanut button hamburger? ;) Happy 4/15!

JD, well just because they won game number 11 doesn't mean they weren't dreadful, as you pointed out. Thank you for helping out on M & M Crisis day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home