Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Neyyyyyyah, what's up TRIVIA QUIZ!

Today is National Honesty Day, a day to celebrate honesty and honor those who are honest in their dealings with others.

Today is Hairstylist Appreciation Day. I often think my hairstylist is sad since cutting my hair isn't much of a challenge :)

Today is Tax Freedom Day, two days later than last year, when the average American has to work in 2007 to pay federal, state, and local taxes. Your state may vary.

Today is National Oatmeal Cookie Day. Yum!

On this day in 1938, that wascally wabbit Bugs Bunny first appeared on screen in the cartoon "Porky's Hare Hunt," directed by "Bugs" Hardaway for Warner Brothers.

On this day in 1952, the first toy was advertised on television—Mr. Potato Head.


On this day in 1958, to test bombing accuracy, the U.S. Navy dropped 12 basketballs from a blimp 1,470 feet over a 10-foot cross target in Lakehurst, New Jersey. None of the balls came even close, but one did bounce 22-feet 9-inches high.

On this day in 1988, residents of Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania, completed a 4.55-mile-long banana split, recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records as the longest ever.

OK, trivia buffs: today Louisiana became a state back in 1812. What's the nickname of Louisiana? For bonus points, what year was the Louisiana Purchase made?

Good luck :)

4 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, April 30, 2008, Blogger Kim said...

Louisana: Like the purchase, only smaller!

And I know the Louisana Purchase was by Thomas Jefferson, so I'm going to guess it was sometime around 1800. Sadly I think he paid less for it than I paid for one year of med school tuition :)

 
At 8:25 PM, April 30, 2008, Blogger Laine said...

I have no idea on the motto, but I'm going with 1803 for the purchase. I feel like I could figure this out with the help of one of those state quarters...

 
At 6:45 AM, May 01, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Louisiana - the French Onion Soup State (mmm, bubbling cheese on top)

And the purchase was in 1804 - no word on whether TJ was charged sales tax at the time.

 
At 8:05 AM, May 01, 2008, Blogger R-dogg said...

Louisiana's the Pelican State (thanks, Northwest, for allowing me to watch The Pelican Brief on the plane!). The LA purchase was completed in 1803.

Kim, pretty close! I'm pretty bad at which President was in office when, which hurts when I try to watch Jeopardy :)

Laine, nice work! And don't try to deny it: you know you have one of those display boards with a quarter from each state!

JD, mmm, French onion soup sounds pretty good! And you may be right with 1804...maybe the US was in escrow until then ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home