Monday, January 28, 2008

I hear the Bears play at Soldier TRIVIA QUIZ!

Today is International Make Your Point Day.

Today is Better Business Communication Day. Hm, well I hope that means I'll receive no work e-mails today with "it's" errors. We shall see!

Today is Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day. *POP*

Today is National Blueberry Pancake Day. Sorry all you east coaster who have probably already had breakfast...

On this day in 1913, Alfred Clark of East Corinth, Maine, patented the rocking chair churn. Alfred simply built a churn into a rocking chair so that people could make butter while they rocked.

On this day in 1959, Vince Lombardi was named head coach of the NFL's Green Bay Packers.


On this day in 1962, Johannes Relleke of Rhodesia was stung by 2,443 bees and survived. Youch!

On this day in 1974, my sister was born :)

On this day in 1998, scientists in New York announced fossil ants dating back 90 million years, proving the existence of the insects back to the age of dinosaurs. The ancient ants were uncovered in New Jersey. Insects in New Jersey??? Who knew?

So, I'm headed to Chicago for a Super Bowl party this coming weekend. How did the Chicago Bears get their name? Yes, I know they got the "Chicago" part from being in Chicago, but why the bears?

Good luck :)

5 Comments:

At 5:58 PM, January 28, 2008, Blogger Kim said...

i think i heard somewhere that it was because the baseball team was the chicago cubs.

 
At 7:18 AM, January 29, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a guess, but I think it had something to do with the nickname of George Halas, the founder of the Bears. ROOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRR!
That's my impression of the wind in Chicago this week.

 
At 7:35 AM, January 29, 2008, Blogger R-dogg said...

Kim, you're pretty close! They were called the bears because they played in the same stadium as the Chicago Cubs!

JD, good guess. I wonder if his nickname came from the team name or something. I was "blown away" by your impression of the wind ;)

 
At 2:56 PM, January 29, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

How exciting to see old Alfred make it even in to the blogosphere. My name is James and I have been researching the history of my hometown, East Corinth, Maine, for a history of the place to be completed in the next year or two. Alfred Clark's family is still in town, and just as proud of his accomplishments as ever. Thanks for including him in your blog today.
James

 
At 3:45 PM, January 29, 2008, Blogger R-dogg said...

Thanks for the comment, James! I'm glad you found something of interest on my blog. Best of luck to you in your history research!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home