Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Break out the syrup, because it's time to eat some TRIVIA QUIZzes!

Depending on where you are, today is Bursting Day, Mardi Gras, Pancake Day, Shrove Tuesday, Carnival, or Fasching, The idea is the same everywhere: Get the partying all done tonight because Lent starts tomorrow..

Today is National Weatherperson's Day (formerly Weatherman's Day until society wised up and realized a woman could miss the forecast just as well as man).


Today is Family Leave Day. In 1993, President Clinton signed the Family Leave Bill, which allowed workers to take time off to deal with the birth or adoption of a child.

On this day in 1881, in Arizona the city of Phoenix was incorporated.

On this day in 1972, Bob Douglas became the first black man elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Massachusetts. Douglas owned and coached the New York Renaissance, an all-black team that won 88 consecutive games in 1933.

On this day in 1974, in a regional basketball tournament in Stockholm, one boys team defeated another 272-0. Thirteen-year-old Mats Wermelin scored all 272 points, the most ever scored by one player in a basketball game (Guinness). Hm, what's the Swedish word for "ball hog"?

On this day in 1997, the Nicaraguan government banned the eating of green iguanas, fearing the animal was becoming an endangered species. Traditionally during Holy Week, Nicaraguans ate green iguana soup and chicken-fried green iguanas. Under the new law, green iguana eaters could be fined 50 cordabas ($5.50) per iguana.

On this day in 2001, Chuck Barr of Jamestown, California, got a notice from the Tuolumne County Library that he hadn't paid his bill for damages on a book he had borrowed.
The tab was for just under $40 trillion. Barr said he was glad the whole thing was a computer glitch because he would have been a little short.

Here's a random trivia question: how many letters are in the Hawaiian alphabet?

Good luck :)

6 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, February 05, 2008, Blogger jody said...

it seems like there are only a few.
h, w, a, i, n, k, e, l

everything is spelled with those!

 
At 7:37 PM, February 05, 2008, Blogger Kim said...

I know there aren't many, maybe 13?

Also, I am so glad I read your blog or else I would have had no idea Lent started tomorrow. Bad Catholic! Bad! So I guess I'm giving up obliviousness to important religious holidays for Lent :)

 
At 9:02 PM, February 05, 2008, Blogger Laine said...

Kim, just get some ashes tomorrow, don't eat meat, and you'll be all good!

I have no idea how many letters there are in the Hawaiian alphabet. I feel like there must be a few more than Jody said or they couldn't spell Poi - yummy!

 
At 7:32 AM, February 06, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to guess 17. How else could you spell "Mele Kalikimaka"?

And yes, please do thank me if you have that song in your head all day!

 
At 8:14 AM, February 06, 2008, Blogger R-dogg said...

And the answer is...12!

Jody, that is so weird, b/c when I was trying to figure out the answer before looking it up, that's almost the EXACT list that I made!

Kim, good guess! Have you figured out what you're giving up for Lent yet? I'm still working on it, but giving up speeding last year nearly killed me ;)

Laine, thank you so much for making me crave poi. There's gotta be a Hawaiian place around here somewhere...

JD, that song DID jump into my head as soon as I read your comment. Thanks :) I'll have to purge it with some Nirvana or something...

 
At 5:50 PM, February 06, 2008, Blogger Kim said...

Haha, no, and I didn't get out of work on time to go to church and get ashes either. I thought I would be able to make the 7:30 service, the red team had other plans for me! Maybe I will give up 14 hour days for Lent... think I could call out for religious reasons?? No seriously I think I am going to give up soda for Lent. We'll see how successful I am :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home